A smile is said to be the gateway to the soul. Sometimes that confidence and smile can’t be expressed due to underlying orthodontic issues. Straight teeth help you achieve a healthier and more fulfilled smile filled with confidence, and that is why modern advancements in materials and dental techniques mean that traditional braces are more comfortable than ever before. In this blog, we shall discuss how traditional braces are a time-tested technique which enables you or your child to enjoy all the benefits of a healthier smile.
How Do Traditional Braces Work?
Traditional braces comprise a series of metal and sleek surgical brackets and wires. Brackets are attached to the front surfaces of the teeth, and the wires are used to bond them together as they run between each bracket. Each wire is fastened with a metal or rubber ligature, which pulls the braces on teeth closer, applying gentle, consistent pressure and moving the teeth into their proper positions. Each time you go for checkups, the wires are slightly adjusted, which allows the metal braces to move the teeth into their ideal position to achieve a well-aligned bite and give the patient a functional and perfect smile. The duration of braces on teeth is usually between one and three years, but it also depends on certain factors such as: the specific condition of the patient, compliance with instructions, and age. Even after removal, a retainer is required by the patient to protect their teeth after braces and prevent them from drifting back to their old position.
What Orthodontic Issues Do Traditional Braces Fix?
Traditional braces work to fix dental issues by correcting the teeth. Some conditions are:
- Crowded and Crooked teeth: When the teeth are improperly positioned with no space to brush or floss properly, your oral hygiene is severely diminished. Bacteria and other microorganisms easily stay hidden and burrow into the cavities, causing tooth decay and offensive breath. Braces on crooked teeth help create the necessary space and improve oral hygiene.
- Bite misalignment: these could be crossbites, overbites, or underbites. Bite misalignment is also the cause of chronic jaw pain. It makes chewing or even biting down on food difficult. Braces fix this and move the teeth into better alignment.
- Gap teeth: This can be embarrassing for some people as it makes their mouth look hollow, and bacteria can easily be trapped there, causing cavities. Metal braces close the gap and give the face a brighter smile.
Advantages of Traditional Braces
- They are stylish and come in a wide variety of colors.
- Traditional braces remain one of the cheapest forms of orthodontic treatment, as they are within the budget of most dental healthcare insurers.
- Metal braces that fix crooked or crowded teeth are very light.
- It is very dependable, as it helps set the teeth straight and prevents oral problems like gum disease, malocclusions, and tooth decay.
- Shorter Treatment Time: In some cases, traditional braces may offer faster treatment times than alternative orthodontic options. This is especially true for more complex cases where clear aligners may be less effective. The constant pressure applied by metal braces can expedite the tooth movement process.
How to Maximize the Benefits of Traditional Braces
Once the braces are on, several tips help to maximize the results:
- Observe strict oral hygiene; Regular brushing helps prevent plaque buildup during treatment, which helps avoid dental decay and bad breath.
- Hard and sticky foods damage braces, so adjustments in diet may be necessary. Also, soft foods are advisable, as the gums will be sore when adjustments to your braces are made.
- Always attend your orthodontist appointments because the periodic adjustment of your braces helps ensure your teeth are well aligned.
Whether you’re considering braces for yourself, a member of your family, or even a friend, from the moment you walk in the door to one of our 6 Metro Atlanta locations, you’ll know you’ve made the right choice. At Atlanta Orthodontic Specialists, we review all treatment options and determine if you are a good candidate for traditional braces or if another treatment may better suit your lifestyle and goals. Book an appointment today to schedule your consultation and begin your journey to a bright and straight smile.